05-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #33
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

UPDATE!

So, I found this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293898

And I've been taking my car in to the dealership. A LOT. Today marks the 4th time in about as many weeks that my car has been to the dealership. I got my SA to agree to have my tech ride with me. The tech wasn't noticing the vibration before and blamed it on my aftermarket wheels. Also, blame was placed on the suspension components not having been torqued correctly at install, which was a problem, but not behind this vibration. However, today when he finally took a ride with me we were able to duplicate the vibration/shudder. He agreed with me and said that's definitely NOT normal.

I told him I've been looking up the problem recently and nobody can seem to pinpoint it. The problem occurs across the board, whether 1 or 3 series, 28 or 35, i or xi. Some people have had the whole steering rack changed and the problem went away. At least one other person has had it changed and the problem persists. Some people have aftermarket suspensions, others do not.

We both realized he would probably be in for a tough time trying to figure out what the problem actually is, so I don't really expect to see my car again soon. If he can figure the problem out, I am buying this man a bottle of booze.

I'll keep updating in case anyone's interested.

Appreciate 0