Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaigaTii View Post
This is all great info!

gs/e60/1m? let us know how you make out taking the 17” alloy (supposedly to fit M3 and 1M) back to the dealer?

So it looks like the BMW black steel 18” compact spare wheel ( part # 36-11-6-768-861 for the X5 and X6) should work on the 1M (and M3) with the appropriate tire (ie Maxxis 155/70-18 112M part # TP 10676000 giving a diameter of 26.54”or several of the other suggested choices). Thanks Tom303 and flzrider for the link to this information!

I have a couple of questions related to using this wheel on our 1Ms:-

1) Is the bolt/stud hole size on this wheel larger that what is on the 1M wheels? ie ours are sized to take a stud 12mm in diameter.

2) If the hole size on the steel wheel is larger is the purpose of the “centering ring” to ensure that the smaller diameter 1M (M3) bolt/studs will center precisely in the steel wheel holes? – Or is there another purpose for the ring?

3) Will our 1M bolts/studs be useable with the steel wheel or will a different set of bolts/studs be required? ie same diameter but different length?

Thanks for your help - pete

A quick check of RealOEM.com confirms that the X5 uses a M14 wheel bolt(s).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=36&fg=15

Our 1er cars use a M12 wheel bolt. I think that is a deal breaker in using an X5 spare wheel option.

But a better option would be using the spare tire option from an e60. Like this one maybe?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...16&hg=36&fg=95

Even IF the wheel bolts were the same size... steel wheels require a different bolt head seat - where the bolt meets or sits inside the wheel lug holes. There are steel wheel bolts(rounded head bolts) and alloy wheel bolts(cone shapped). You really should use the correct wheel bolts.

This was the main reason why I went with the 17" bmw alloy wheel for my 135i. I did not want to carry around five extra steel wheel bolts. Plus my dealer gave me a swetheart deal on the wheel - they had instock.
Appreciate 0