View Single Post
      08-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

JB3 and long term reliability

I know it's silly to ask this question because no one has a definitive answer but I'm interested in hearing as many people's opinions on the matter as I can.

I didn't hesistate to chip my Audi TT when I bought it almost 9 years ago. After 8 years of owning it chipped, I never had a single engine problem other than the ECU dying after 8 years (and that was a relatively cheap fix - $450 for a refurbished ECU).

Perhaps I was foolish and young back then, but now as I'm thinking about getting a JB3, I'm having second thoughts. Perhaps it is the pictures of the blown turbos in 335s and stories of $15,000+ repair bills. Certainly, I'm craving the extra power but maybe not at the expense of a blown engine.

Exactly what kind of risk are we taking here? I realize we can just remove the JB3 and pretend like it was never installed, but in even of a real catastrophic engine failure, I think I am the kind of person who would own up to it.

I'm willing to take a risk, but it really depends on how much of a risk it is. So what are we dealing with here?