Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Sorry, you completely missed the point.

Re skill, without sounding like too much of an ass, I instruct in cars far more powerful, difficult to drive and with far higher limits than my 1M has. From that perspective I find the 1M relatively easy to drive on and over the limit. However it's certainly more of a challenge to play over the limits on the RS-3s vs PSS because the slip angles are so much greater. So even if you're often going slower the RS-3s take more skill to use. However that's also part of the reason I enjoy them.

Any car is a balance between the motor, chassis and mechanical grip. Too much grip is easy to drive but it isn't fun- if you had an F1 car with the 1M's power to weight ratio (so about 130 hp) it'd be boring to drive as you'd never get the tires unstuck, while a model T with the same power to weight would be sideways instantly and scare the crap out of you.

While I'm able to exceed the tires grip with either tire, but the motor simply can't overcome the PSS grip as often, as much or for as long. So the PSS is sticky enough to upset the balance between grip and power that the engineers designed in. For competition that's great, give me all the grip I can get (hoosiers, etc). For having fun, however? Maybe too much of a good thing.

Of course you can add power and get some of the balance back, but then the chassis starts to lag (suspension too soft, then brakes too weak, etc) so it's a bit of a slippery slope.
I did not mean to question your driving skills. Think i should at least make that clear

in the case of fun, i /agree