02-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
What's the deal with mounting brackets then? I notice that the OEM DPs have brackets to hold them, as do the horrendously expensive Akrapovic ones and another expensive DP (can't remember the name). However, the AR Design, BMS etc don't have these brackets. I wonder what effect this will have on things, as I suppose the pipes are kinda just hanging from the turbochargers.

That said, I imgine some people have been running hard with these pipes for thousands of miles?
I wouldn't worry about the bracket, I'd venture a guess that something in the neighborhood of 30-40% of members here are catless, and that's just not a complaint or issue that I see brought up. Catless downpipes don't weigh much, so we're not talking about a ton of stress being exerted due to lack of a mounting bracket. Now an intercooler i'd want some sort of additional support, but downpipes don't worry me in that regard. People have been running catless downpipes on these cars for years now, if it were an issue you'd def. see a redesign from at least one company other than Akra, which is just obsessive in terms of quality and attn. to detail.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0