08-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
80% of those on this board that move from manual to DCT will be back to manual within 3 to 4 years.

I've got its VAG counterpart, and have been using it as my DD for 3 years now. It's a great transmission and has been a real joy to use in that time period. I really don't have anything bad to say about it.

But like any video game you use every day the thrill eventually gets driven away (pun intended). If anything because it is in fact too good.

If I didn't have the manny tranny einser to play with on the weekends I would probably go

The gearbox is the best I've ever experienced in any BMW of the past 20 years, and finding the desired gear is not a struggle as it used to be.

But even with that benefit it still offers extreme challenges.

And in the end I prefer challenging myself rather than some computer, even if it beats me 99% of the time. Because that 1 time I beat it it will be nirvana and pure sweetness.

So go ahead and stray from the path if you feel compelled, but once the thrill is gone I'm guessing like the Prodigal Son you'll be back.............. in 3 years................maybe 4 years..............TOPS!

great points, i agree completely. i hope, however, that manual transmissions aren't 5 or 10 years away from becoming obsolete or unwanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
LOL I think half the people who claim they switched from MT to DCT really switched from AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
Being fairly new, i wouldn't be surprised if DCT's become the source of very costly future repairs.
x1000000
anyone that purchases a dct (instead of leasing) and plans to keep it past the factory warranty NEEDS to purchase the extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I test drove an E92 M3 DCT yesterday. My first experience with DCT. I've been driving manuals most of my life, my recently sold 135i was a manual and I have a 335i sedan with the steptronic. I've always said I hated driving autos and steptronic wasn't fun at all for me. I've heard great things about DCT, but really didn't think it could sway me from the enjoyment of driving a manual.

Well after the test drive yesterday, I've come to some pretty expected conclusions. Shifting is FAST. If you are picking the transmission that allows you to drive as fast as possible, go with DCT. On the other hand, it absolutely does not replace the driving enjoyment of a manual. It still feels like the car is doing everything for you (obviously), and it has the same feeling as driving a steptronic (only with practically no delay when shifting). As someone who loves double-clutching/rev-matching downshifts and practicing my heel-toe technique, DCT just doesn't do it for me. I guess I just prefer driver involvement over being the fastest car, especially if it's a daily driver. I can totally see serious track rats opting for DCT as it is very fast.
nice review, as well. i'm glad people enjoy DCT and similar transmissions. i, for one, will never drive any form of an automatic transmission
Appreciate 0