08-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #53
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
I've only had the Ferodo DS2500 in my previous car which was a MK5 Golf R32, and I felt that they were a good compromise between a full on track pad and a performance pad for the road. They were pretty quiet with the occasional soft squeal, which wouldn't bother anyone. Given that the R32 has a similar caliper to the M3/1M - both being made by ATE and are single piston - it would be possible to compare the DS2500 to the OEM Sport Pads.

The initial bite of the DS2500 is not as sharp and hard as the OEM Sport Pads. OEM Sport Pads have a better initial bite during winter temperatures. However, the DS2500 has a similar initial bite and pedal feel as the standard OEM pads when cold. Once warm/hot, the DS2500 improve quite a bit in terms of pedal firmness and bite. The DS2500 is nearly half the price of the Sport Pads. Given that it doesn't get particularly cold in Australia compared to Europe, the DS2500 should work well for you. They are good quality pads and are often used in the AP Racing BB kits. In your situation, I would probably go for them since they aren't too expensive and you can always get something more track focused if you find them inadequate.
Good idea. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed and thought out response.