Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
A) i have the car already an can't sell it for much lol

B) cool factor, how many e87 n54's are there in the world? One that i know of

For the $20k odd (inc buying engine and gearbox and install) it's getting forged internals and all reco block, ported head with new springs blah blah, fbo++, and it will have a 3.46fd with the 130i 6mt diff, tons of advantages

Fun factor, i get to strip and build it mostly myself

And practicality: i have the seats folded down carrying a full boot load more days than not. It's a lot handier.

So going by the not-much over $20k tag on 130i's now, the total of a bit over $40k.. To get the cheapest on the market 135i would be $40k unmodified

And as such.. I can't as easily afford the payment for the 135i up front, it'd cost a bit in repairs to get my 130i desirable to others (where i'm upgrading rather than replacing) with what i'd want 45-50k..
The transplant of an N54 with full bolt ons and the other gear is going to cost way more than buying a 135, plus it will never be road legal.

Doesn't mean it's not a cool project but know what you're letting yourself in for.
No way.. $5k engine and gearbox+ electronics, $300-$500 fmic, $1000-$1500 oil cooler, say $500 for a used catback or a custom stockish one worst case.. $2500 odd port job, $?? In head parts, $?? Labour For bottom end + $3000-$3500 rods and pistons..$1k (?) driveshaft.. $5-6k in install labour assuming it works without a major headache.. A few hundred more in engineering.. Oh and the couple $k in seals and misc bits, vac tubes and crap.. Mounts.. All the little things add up lol

I sell my 130i for 20k easily, still have $8k odd loan left (yeah a loan for it) and i buy a $45-50k 135i with $2-2.5k of fbo and tune, and probably have oil cooling issues still... So i'm now $55-6xk spent on it for a near stock example.

Of course it's going to be road legal

I mean, stock dp's stock exhaust, no emissions test it's straight up 100% bolt on legal

As long as it's not an older motor, WAY bigger, or has emissions gear removed, here in qld

Yeah i could get a 135i for the same money, but that's a stock 135i vs a fully built this..

I spent a long time making sure i wasn't wasting my money, reading govt documents and engine swap threads on forums, it's going in visually factory bar the fmic/intake (legal mods in qld no engineering) and oil coolers really, so im making sure it's all roadworthy.

I do wish i could have afforded a 135i, the aftermarket boot lids and go-nice bits you can get make me a bit jealous lol.. But im here now :/
Appreciate 0