06-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
You are suppose to add oil as the engine consumes it. Customers in Europe pay for their own oil changes and their OCI is up to 30,000 km or 18,600 miles. They have no oil related engine issues nor do U.S. owners who follow the BMW prescribed CBS OCIs up to 15,000 miles.

^^Yea... BUT.... most Germans drive less than 12K kms per year. IF you do find a German who drives a lot... its like 20K kms - and those guys will almost always be driving a diesel bc fuel costs $9 per gallon over here.

MOST Germans will only keep a new car for a few years(I'd say two years). Most lease their cars (not buy, most have their company lease teh car for them!), and after two years they get another one... bc paying for the BIG two year service, or paying for brakes or tires... they would rather just buy a new car. Then these cars get sold outside of Germany - never to be seen again. True.

AND... most Germans only change their oil once per year. I think that is totally NUTS(!) - but most Germans do that. And for the really old cars you see still be drivien over here... they are ticking like a mo-fo bc of long OCI's. At least that is what I have noticed.

Oil is cheap... engines are not.
Appreciate 0