View Single Post
      08-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Nick, sorry to be redundant but just want to be clear; are you saying you've run the 225 / 255 combo (on the e46) with both sizes on 8.5 inch rims?

I am hearing what Jurrian is saying for sure - but I also know that most of the guys running Breyton GTS-R's (including Gill) are running 255's in the rear. Those rear Breytons are 8.5" wide, same as the front width of the staggered fitment CSL reps from EAS. Meanwhile, most guys and gals with the CSL reps are running 225's in the front already. If I were going to run 245's in the rear I wouldn't even hesitate, but I wish to run Ultra High Performance All Seasons, not Summers, and there is nothing in the 245 size from that category.

An alternative is to give up a little "meat"! That is, run the 8.5's all around with all 225/40/18's. I figure, they will look somewhat better than the 225/45/17's on the rear presently (stock 128 sport pkg) because (A) they will be on a wheel that's a full inch wider than factory (8.5 vs 7.5) and (B) the CSL reps have 7mm less offset than my rears. Advantages here in cost and weight, and I'm sure it would look damn good too, lol. Another rear compromise would be 235/40/18's, however, the fact that they're about .4 inch taller than the 225's means my overall gearing is affected (taller). Sure it's not much but remember, I'm in a 128 here and not a 135.

Yes, I know many members are running the 8.5/9.5 staggered combo and yes, it looks mean as hell...but I do carry my 7- and 9-year old in the back from time to time, and living here in New England means we've got our share of um, "pavement irregularities" to deal with! The clearance issue is thus a biggie for me.

I know I'm taking up a lot of "online ink" here, but I hope my decision and then my pics will be of further help to those looking at the similar dilemma. Meanwhile, let's raise our glasses to the continued development of 1er-specific fitments! Love to hear back, Thanks all!
No and thank you for clarifying, I didn't read that post carefully enough. For a NON staggered setup, I agree with Julian in that you should not run the larger tire. There is no reason to and will prevent you from being able to rotate the wheels. However, for a STAGGERED setup, the 225/255 setup is ideal. Sorry for the confusion!
Appreciate 0