01-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
I'm sure the wrap removal after only having it on about a year is a shock to everyone, especially the people that followed the process and I'm really sad to see it go too, but I'm doing it for a few reasons.

1. Vinyl is incredibly soft and doesn't "wear" well. Definitely not as durable or easily repairable as clear-coated paint.
2. Some idiot pulled into a parking spot next to me recently and just barely skimmed my car leaving a mar down the side.
3. The week after I wrapped one of the doors someone swung their door into mine and fucked up the wrap. It's been patched ever since and always bothered me.
4. A tree branch fell during a storm and put a dent in my roof so I have to get that fixed. Going to do that when I get the hood and trunk painted.
5. People suck at parallel parking and use the "touch and feel" approach. Leaving marks in the rear and front bumper vinyl.
6. The rear bumper was done in two pieces with a seam, because I ran out of material, and that always bothered me.
7. Hit some re-tread on the highway, broke my carbon fiber lip, and damaged the vinyl.
8. Tracking a car kills vinyl, especially on the side-skirts.

Sooooooo... if those weren't enough reasons for people to see why I'm taking it off, I'm not sure what to say haha.

It was great while it lasted. Got a lot of attention and really enjoyed the matte-look. Luckily, it's been photographed a lot in the blue-state. It's really funny though how much you end up missing a nice, shiny car once you start taking it off and seeing the reflections in the panels again.

There is a positive note to all of this:

Vinyl is a fantastic protection for paint. Whether it's solid colored or a clear vinyl. I would say if you don't have a clear bra already, it's one of the best investments you can make. The way I see it is that because I spent the time and money to put the vinyl on in the first place, it saved me money and time ten-fold in the end. So all and all, I'm happy that I did it.

But, it's time for a new chapter for my car into the 3rd year of ownership... Time to do something different, once again.