01-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
You're right, the carbon parts all all clear-coated. I've had CF mirror caps and a spoiler for years now, and this is my third winter with a CF hood. No problems. If you wax it regularly (or better, use a long-lasting synthetic sealant, though it's not necessary), you'll be fine.

The clear coat should also be UV-resistant, so the CF does not yellow in the sun. My spoiler and my old hood still yellowed. The spoiler was bought on the forums from a less-reputable vendor who is no longer around, and the hood was from Seibon and they replaced it under the warranty. New hood has not yellowed in the past 1.5 years.

I daily drive with CF hood, mirrors, spoiler, eyelids, roundels, and I just got a trunk, and I'm looking at a diffuser now. Lol, CF overkill, I know, but hey I love the stuff. I'm not worried at all. The clearcoat protects the CF just as much as it protects the paint, and let me tell you, BMW paint is REALLY crappy in terms of resilience. Only piece of yellow CF on my car is the spoiler, which I bought for $100 (years ago when NO spoilers cost that much), from a shitty vendor who got kicked off the forums.
what he said.

I've had grilles, spoiler, and mirror caps for a 1-2 years now and they look brand new. My car even sits outside all day and has been snowed on and gone through 100+ constant texas heat.

Someone gave me a turtle wax super hard shell paste wax and I've just put that on the car every 5 months or so.