View Single Post
      01-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Tell me more about DCT

Hello,

Ive been in the market for a BMW 135i for a while. Havent bit the bullet for a number of reasons, but Ive been tracking things... Interesting news that the 2011 model will have a 7-speed DCT.

Im a die-hard MT fan, and really do not like ATs at all. However, 7 speeds and continuous forward momentum with a turbo engine (so there are no pressure variations during shifts) is a good thing... Not that I drive hard - Id drive the thing super-gently 99.9% of the time.

Anyway, I initially dismissed the DCT as more or less an automatic. It only has two pedals, and you can put it in "D" and just turn the brain off... but can you?

Reviewing how to operate the DSG at wikipedia (FWIW):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

I get this:
""N"

N position of the floor-mounted shift lever means that the transmission is in "neutral". Similar to P above, both clutch packs and all gear-sets are fully disengaged, however the parking lock is disengaged. This position should be used when the motor vehicle is stationary for a period of time, such as at red traffic lights, or waiting in a queue of stationary traffic.[19] The DSG should not be held in any of the active gear modes while stationary using the footbrake for other than brief periods - due to the clutches being held on the bite point, as this can overheat the clutches and transmission fluid.[19]"

So this tells me that you cannot turn your brain off like with an AT. Or, I guess you can (for a little while), but you will be damaging your gearbox.

So, what's the deal with the DCT/DSG/dual clutch gearbox? You DO always need to be involved for the trans to last?

Im sure repairs are expensive, and there is lots of fluid replacement if it is anything like what Ive heard of the VW DSG - fluid costs aside, Im mainly interested if you DO need to ALWAYS be engaged - a "D" position isnt a set and forget position like it is in an AT.

Any comments or ideas? Ive never even driven a VW DSG...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0