View Single Post
      10-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

FI priming/raw fuel concerns

I hear the fuel pump run when I open the doors or trunk on my 135. I know most FI systems prime the engine for starting when the key is turned to "armed" before starting.
My old car, when hot, would sometimes have long cranks before starting unless I armed the ignition, and waited until the FI had fully primed the car, at which point it fired normally.

My concern on my 135i is that I always am going into my car for my wallet, or to load something into the trunk, and each time I hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds, and I am worried that if the car is priming itself each time, that I'm causing raw fuel to be shot into the engine in anticipation of starting, and when I Don't start the car that this raw fuel then leaks down past the rings into the oil.

Is this what is happening, or is this just the low pressure pre-pump just building pressure? Does the priming happen just when I hit the start button?

If the car IS priming every time, can this feature be disabled? I am very used to arming, and then waiting until I hear the priming pump turn off as i had to do it with my old car every time.

Thanks for any help.

Mike
Appreciate 0