MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
It's not the MTers that are confused. It's the DCT owners who are posting all the questions about why DCT acts funny.
Who says the DCT acts funny? Mine works brilliantly. In Manual mode, it shifts when I pull the paddles instantly every time like clockwork. In sport auto mode, it's always in the perfect gear for my commute. It's flawless.

The only time it "acts funny" is if you were to floor the gas pedal from a dead stop in auto mode. It will hesitate for a split second, then take off. I'm not sure about you, but I don't know how often I need to floor it from a dead stop. The only time I can think of a reason to do that is for drag racing, which is lame for a car with good handling characteristics. Even then, you have access to launch control. The 135i, or any BMW for that matter, was not built to be launched and driven fast in a straight line for 1/4 mile.

Other than launching without launch control, the DCT does everything better than a 6MT. The driver has full control of the shifts in Manual mode just like a 6MT driver has. The only difference is the DCT driver doesn't need to mess with a clutch or take their hands of the steering wheel. For someone who tracks or autocrosses their car, that's an advantage as it allows easier left foot braking and makes steering in technical courses easier. Upshifts don't cause boost to drop and downshifts are perfectly rev matched every time. This is the reason many race cars today don't use manual transmissions with a clutch anymore.

The only advantage a Manual transmission has is the feel. The driver feels more connected, more "in control" because of the mechanical shift lever and clutch. For some drivers, that's enough to stick to a manual, for others, they want the DCT.

It's personal preference. I'll always like the DCT, RadiantM3 and others will always prefer a manual. Such is life.

Last edited by MarkR171; 08-18-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0