View Single Post
      06-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Double Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Man/CR/Taupe. 5/08/09

Buyer Beware: Chrome BMW Roundel Manual Shift Knob. Thumbs Down!

I wanted to add a little pizaaz to my manual shifter. I love chrome and thought the shift knob listed in the 1 Series Accessories Catalog would fill the bill. Wrongo.

Two Major Issues: #1 Heat retention. Unbelievable. Bad. Please note I had a Whalen chrome knob on my MINI MCS and it never got this hot and retained the heat as long as the BMW knob. Even evenings. If I drive for awhile. Go to dinner--the knob retains heat from the drivetrain. No sun involved. That never happened with my Whalen. Also the chrome knob is about 1 1/4"--which feels a little too small for me.

#2 Removing the OEM knob--the chrome knob doesn't hook up to the boot at the base of the shift knob. The oem has a plastic piece that fits and connects. No such luck with the chrome Roundel shift knob. Remember this is a BMW "engineered" part.

I am very disappointed. I have contacted Doug Whalen (Whalen Machines, Inc.) and am going to have a billiard ball knob made for my car. I had a #3 billard ball knob(2 1/4") for my Red MCS and had no heat(of course no metal) or fitment issues.

I know my fellow addicts were probably all lined up to get this shift knob. Save your money. Nick