View Single Post
      06-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #27
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Yep,...Orange Peel Sucks.
My 87 E30 Vert had "some" Orange peel when I bought it,..but it also had surface scratches all over it from the previous owners rings. SOOOO

TO ELIMINATE the ORANGE PEEL (and hundreds of surf scratches) on the E30:
  1. I CAREFULLY AND LIGHTLY wet-sanded the entire car w/ 2000 grit Wet sanded paper. (It looked scary when i got done w/ this step but have faith.)
  2. Applied 3m Rubbing compound with a high speed rotary polisher (Be Xtra careful w/ these puppies as one slip can burn your paint)
  3. Then went over that with a finer polishing compound / swirl mark remover.
  4. Went over that w/ a Final Polish
  5. Pinnacle souvern Wax final coat.
Here's a pic of the result.Luckily i didnt burn through any spots, and the finish came out like a mirror,..no peel,..and smooth as glass.
Disclaimer: The wetsanding on the E30 either removed what was left of the clear coat,..or there wasnt much of one to begin with.
Im not planning on doing this to my 135i. Too Risky,..but figured it was worth passing along to the masses.
Attached Images

BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0