View Single Post
      12-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT Alpine White

Tire rubbing strut - please help

THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED (SEE POST #5). THE TIRE WASN'T RUBBING WHILE DRIVING.

My new tire is rubbing the strut (passenger front), but it's only one tire. The other front tire isn't rubbing at all (or maybe I should say it isn't rubbing yet).

Wheels:
TRMotorsports C2 (TireRack brand) 17x8.5 ET40 (square setup)

Tires:
Hankook RS3 245/40/17

Suspension:
Vorshlag camber plates, everything else is stock (135 sport suspension)

Observations:
- The tire doesn't seem to touch the strut when the car is parked. It seems to have a few millimeters of clearance when parked.
- The dust on the tire doesn't complete a full circle, but it is on most of the tire. So either the tire or wheel is uneven or it somehow moves closer and hits the strut occasionally while driving.
- The dust rubs off easily, and I see no sign of damage to the tire.
- I've driven about 100 miles on the street only, so it'll probably get worse at the track.
- Tire pressures are about the same ranging from 36 cold to 42+ hot.
- I did make some aggressive left turns, but only slow right turns.

Potential cause:
I think it's probably happening during an aggressive left turn, which loads the front passenger tire and suspension. Somehow the tire may be hitting the strut during cornering. I imagine the other tire will rub too if I make some aggressive right turns.

Next steps:
1) Do nothing... What are the consequences of leaving it alone? Could it damage the tire or be unsafe? I guess worst case is if it rubs long enough I imagine it could weaken the rubber enough to cause a blowout. What are the chances? Maybe I should I just leave it alone and watch it. Thoughts?
2) Get spacers... I don't want to rub the fender, and the outer edge is already very close.

Last edited by e82n54; 12-04-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0