View Single Post
      11-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #83
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Which set has the appearance of higher quality? I think the AE setup on the Sonar lights looks much more OEM than the Depos, but the Depos seem to look more OEM overall, especially the back of the headlight.

Exactly my thoughts too. The AE on the SONAR lights look better to me. But overall the DEPO's look very OEM, espcially the white turn signals.

I am very much leaning toward the Sonar lights because I like the LED AEs better and the fact that the inner assembly more closely resembles the OEM setup than the Depo lights do (except that the Depo lights mimic the matte-gray interior finish).

I think which light looks better is a personal prefernce. I like both. But IF I had to choose one I'd go with the DEPOs personally.

It seems the Sonar lights have several redundant city lights; i.e., one LED between the high- and low-beam, the AEs, and then one in the high-beam reflector. Whereas, the Depo lights only have the AEs as city lights, if I'm not mistaken?

Yes, you are correct on this. Also the SONAR lights have six wires for the AE setup. You have to splice those into your headlights - on your own. With the DEPO's it is all plug and play.

Also... the DEPOs use a OEM-like cover for access to bulbs. While on the SONAR ones you have to use a wrench and screw driver. Not ideal with the headlights installed on the car.

Do the AE rings on the Depo lights really have a blue tinge to them when the lights are off like appears in all the pictures I've seen of them?

Yes, they look blue when off. Just look at the pictures I took of the red 116i (Katja's car) at the Burger King parking lot - when we had that "coding event there". They look blue when off. When on the DEPO's have those four dead spots due to the four small peanut bulbs they use. The AE on the SONARs look better in this regard.

With the LED AEs on the Sonar lights being wired separately from the other headlight functions, I'm assuming that you could wire them up just about any way you'd like?

Yes, I would think you could wire up the lights however one likes.

Any other Q's?

Dackel
Appreciate 0