View Single Post
      06-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My message is similar to BrokenVert but I will say it a little different way. The N54 engine weighs 430 lbs versus the N52 at 355 pounds. As we all know, BMW REALLY cares about weight distribution so they hang a weight off the back bumper of the 135i to compensate. Now if BMW could just put a turbo on the N52, why would they go to all this trouble?

The N54 is an aluminum block with a cast iron cylinder wall liner. That is "old school" versus the aluminum cylinder wall of the N52. I was worried about the N52 and looked to see who else uses aluminum as the cylinder wall and how long they've done it. Porsche is one and it's been done for over 10 years. The N52 came out in 2005 (two years before the N54). That convinced me to give it a try. I think as long as lubrication is good, my motor should hold up fine. Turbocharging puts much more stress on the motor, however, and I would be worried about both the aluminum cylinder walls (getting scraped by the aluminum pistons and/or steel rings) and the magnesium separating from the aluminum in the block. I don't know if these are BMW engineers concerns or not. But I'm sure they thought about it and decided not to. I think that is solid evidence turbo-charging the N52 isn't wise. Super charging, by the way, is different and apparently people are getting nearly the power of a stock N54 by supercharging. If I decided, for some reason, I REALLY needed 300hp from my 128i, I would look into supercharging, not turbocharging.

Jim