View Single Post
      08-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #20
gotgemini2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 & E46 M3, 6 speed manuals

I have several thoughts on the whole M1 idea. First of all, the only direction to go from the Biturbo Straight six in the 135i would be the biturbo V8 that BMW is working on. I think that BMW is pushing the limits of N/A engines and that eventually the M-division will have to start working with turbos because the technology is there and competitors like AMG will otherwise win out entirely in the HP war. If the focus of a M1 was not the engine, then I believe they could also tweak the biturbo straight six from the 135i slightly, then add a bunch of stuff to reduce weight, enhance handling, and up the M-ness. Specifically, they could add a carbon fiber roof, change the mirrors, add a LSD (which every single BMW should have), swap the wheels/tires for a slightly wider more aggressive setup and add a billion M badges. BMW did something similar to this before they introduced the E36 M3 in the US. Specifically, they made the M-technic 325i which was identical to the M3 in ever single way except for the engine. The ultimate point however is that it simply is too early to speculate and as much as I want an M1, if the 135i comes out for sale in march I'll be among the first people to buy one.
Appreciate 0