View Single Post
      01-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ 345 View Post
thought i would post this up,i know there is another thread allready but more pics can't hurt,sorry for the quality of the pics had the camera on wrong settings,okay no stock so had to come from germany(two weeks) delivery part number 25112284205 M5 gear knob £84,as you can see gaiter is not same as 1M

so first to remove standard one,this just hooks under plastic so hold gaiter and pull towards middle of car,once unclipped pull gear knob straight up,this is quite tight so be prepared to knock yourself out,you are now left with this

to remove gaiter there are three pins holding it onto the gearknob one is a hook type clip,put a small screwdriver under this & gently ease to middle at same time put another screwdriver under plastic and ease up

now on to M5 gear knob snip plug off & slide plastic sleeve off then repeat as per 1M,to fit M5 to 1M gaiter first drill 1/8 hole between the two pin holes for the wires to go through

now clip gear knob onto gaiter refit plastic sleeve on wire.
next step remove plastic trim on console,pull straight up,then remove foam padding

next step is to tap into loom,on right hand side there is three cables you need to tap into red/grey & brown wires same colour as gear knob wires,i used some extra wire with bullet connectors to join gear knob wires

re fit foam

place plastic trim back on, connect wires & test to make sure its working,press gear knob onto shifter,refit gaiter back into console & sit back with a smug smile on your face
THX good job!. Neatly detailed preservation of the original gaiter-knob connection.

questions:
- wrt the effect of this connection: if you vary the intensity of the dashboard light, does the knob illumination vary its intensity or is it steady?
- is there any way of retrieving the electrical connectors from the supplied connector, without destroying it?
Appreciate 0