09-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #1276
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
I drove a dual clutch gearbox in the A3 for the past 2 years (DSG/S-Tronic) and they really are fantastic. you get this really great race car-like feeling driving them that you just don't get in a manual. Being used to driving manuals though-----I was spending 3 hours a day commuting with left leg basically going numb out of boredom! haha. so I needed more activity and I figured I'd never really owned a BMW manual so might as well.

I think dual clutch gearboxes are definitely THE best way to get power out of a modern car though----and are quite enjoyable in their own way. you will definitely smoke me at a light and you won't be cursing in heavy traffic as I'll be doing sometimes with the thick NYC traffic we sometimes get....but FWIW the manual on this car is pretty wicked!

I've had my TT with a manual for 11 years now and it is much more tiring car to drive in traffic than the 1er is. the manual is good but not nearly as butter smooth as the 1er....never was even when it was newer.
All valid points. From time to time I've had some tough bouts with sciatica pain in my left leg that would cause me to leave my manual car at home. I wanted to avoid that situation in my DD going forward. The DCT has certainly been a blast. My boss has a 1M, and he likes to refer to the 6MT as the only proper transmission for a car. Over the decades he's owned everything from 2002tiis to M Roadsters with a few 911-based Porsches on the side, so I'm interested to have him drive my IS and see what he thinks.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0