08-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
They want my car because they think its the key to solving to sleep problems that they have on chargepoint (Coulomb) chargers.

Im a unique case as I use the same charging at home that I do at work. I take my charging station with me to and from so that I can charge while im at work because my job is about 60 miles from my house and I occasionally end up having to run around the city going to meetings.

At my house, the car never falls asleep, but at work it does. The only differences that anyone has been able to come up with is that I charge at 6.4 at my home but only 5.7 at work. That and NYC voltage throttles (down to lows of about 205 Volts). So BMW had requested my car and my charger to figure out if the sleep issues are simply a result of low charge rate or something more suspicious.

Also my regen brakes (I know its not actually brakes) have only been grabbing at about half of their usual force lately. That and my car stutters slightly when starting to move from a stop. So its been sent to Jersey because they think they might need to do a motor swap on it.

I just cant get lucky and have a BMW that actually works for a change, can I?
Interesting. I have been working with them on trying to identify the issue(s) with charging also. It only happens on Coulomb(soon to be rebadged 'ChargePoint') and Clipper Creek equipment. If you charge on equipment form GE, Leviton, Blink, PEP, AeroVironment and others there is no issue. I have both Clipper Creek, Blink and Coulomb chargers at my restaurant in Montclair so it's a good place to test one against the other.

I can't speak about the other BMW's you've had problems with in the past, but you had to expect some level of issues with this car, right? It's basically a Frankenstein car that was hacked apart and reassembled. I've been lucky, but there have been people that have had the car in for service issues longer than they've had it so far!