View Single Post
      12-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #119
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

This reminds me of the pissing contest from the Roadfly forums several years ago when a few of the 3.0L Z3 drivers were bashing the S54 M Roadster guys (like me). FWIW my thoughts on the matter were that I only buy M cars because BMW purposely builds them to be special. When people mention the flaws in the 1M (like the HPFP and charge pipe issues), I remind them that the S52 and S54 M Roadsters were not without flaws either (engines blowing up, rear differential weld points tearing from the torque, the semi trailing arm rear suspension, etc).

I can't fault anyone for doing tasteful mods to their car, nor can I fault those lucky few of us that own M cars for holding our heads a little higher when describing our ride. What bugs me is when magazines bait people into the same old "it's not an M" debate with comparos like these. The same thing happens with Audi S and RS, AMG, and every other marque that builds a specialty line. It's a divisive, sycophantic, and ultimately pointless tactic designed to sell magazines to the widest demographic (1 series and 1M owners combined).
Appreciate 0