alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicanglider View Post
For this repair, I followed the procedure I read on the site that also used the 3M Windo-Weld system. Here you can see the bottom half of the seam has completely let go. The symptom was a rattling rear window over the course of a few months. The seam letting go was something I never considered as the problem until I got out of the car and saw the gap between the top and the window. I'm way out of warranty and I didn't want to pay for a new top and installation, so I made this repair. It is not perfection. It is functional.

I let everything set overnight and after 24 hours time I removed the packing tape. I trimmed the excess that a squished out of the seam and ran another bead of Windo-Weld to fill in the voids. I am impressed with the strength of the bond and feel confident the repair will last. How long it will last, time will tell. But for now the window is in position and it doesn't leak (or rattle). I don't want to pay for a new top until I have to, and I'm hoping that won't be next week. As long as the "ten foot rule" is applied, it doesn't look too bad.

Nice, thank for the write-up. I just got my top replaced, under warranty, 5 days before it expires and hopefully don't have to think about it anytime soon. It is weird though, to give out like that after such a short time.

Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0