05-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #15
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscone
Which one in particular do you have or recommend?
I bought the older Hamilton Beach air purifiers a couple years ago for about $99 each. They work very well.

My big bro also has an AustinAir Healthmate air purifier - he has two cats and the funny thing is when his friends who are severely allergic to cats come over, the purifiers work so well they don't get any reactions inside his place. The Austins are also great since you don't have the replace the HEPA filter until every 3-5 years.

The Hamiltons suggest you replace the HEPA filters ($45 a pop) every year but they can go on up to 2 years as that's what I'm doing now.

I used to sneeze a bit and get occasional runny/stuffy noses during spring but I'm quite surprised this time around I'm getting nothing.

I also used to take Claritin back in the days when I acquired a newfound food allergy and at the time I had no idea what I was allergic to. The Claritin was mandatory for me because otherwise I'd get hives - I learned, however, that you become dependent on such anti-histamines if you take them for long periods of times...in fact, you reach the point where your mentality depends on it and if you refuse to take the drugs your mind may work against you and coerce your own body to react negatively. This of course isn't as severe as the cases of mild allergies which you guys seem to be talking about.