09-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #22
M3Armand
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
Carrera S

True around town, not so 50 to 130 roll on the throttle as in coming out of Oak Tree at VIR. I collected enough data over three days at VIR in September. Sally and I took our daily drivers as our track car was down. She was able to pull me with her stock 964 coming out of Oak Tree. The 911 will run all day long as will the 135I in stock condition. The 135I with JB3 will limp.

Brakes are not even close – last event both cars were using Hawk HT10s and ATE Blue. Turn 1 killed the 135 brakes and there was insufficient time to recover for Turn 3. Not enough heat sink in the rotors. To me HT10s when warm feel better on the street then the stock pads because of initial bite and high torque. The rotor on the 135 is too skinny. 25mm on a 3400 pound car. Sally’s Carrera has 28mm rotors and weighs 500 pounds less. 996 TT which weighs about the same as the 135I has 35mm thick rotors.

If occasional track use and ease of driving is your goal, then why not consider an E46 M3..
Wow... great post and exactly the type of info I was looking for... THANKS!

The Carrera S doesn't have that "wide body" look.

So you're telling me that the 996 (315 hp) is faster in a straight line than the 135 on the track?

Yeah, I heard about the 135 brakes on the track. But since I will only casually take it to the track (maybe once a year if even?... got kids now...), it's not much of an issue for me.

E46M3 = cow on ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeueKlasse View Post
If you think BMW parts are expensive, wait until you see Porsche parts.

I couldn't imagine anyone daily driving anything other than a Boxster and imho that's not a real Porsche...
Yes, I know Porsche parts are expensive...annoyingly expensive...ask me how I know

The Boxster / Cayman is the best handling Porsche hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
For example, leaving work walking up to your 135....the average Joe will likey look over and think 'Ahh...he just has a base model Beeeeeemer'. Whereas walking up to a P car.....the average Joe's thoughts will certainly be different.

Meaning....for ~$40k....might as well get yourself a fun pleasure car you will be proud to be seen in. Furhter, for me the 135 relationship has become a bit frustrating in that there is NEVER enough open roads to really enjoy the turbos and performance of the car. I always find whenever I try to get into it with the car I end up behind some blasted SUV or minivan..
The "walk up" factor is important to me. AND I know exactly what you are saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
My Dad does about 30K miles/year, he had a '00 911, the car was constantly in the shop, the dealer admitted it wasn't built for that abuse....
That's silly...the dealer is just trying to make you feel better about taking it up the exhaust on dealer pricing...
2008 BMW X5 4.8i, Black Sapphire / Saddle Brown
Appreciate 0