06-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk668 View Post
I ordered a cf spoiler from United BMW and wanted to know the best route for me to install it. I have done searches and found the two options to be betalink and 3M VHB tape.

I am trying to decide which one would be best for me. I did some searches and saw the diy's but still have some questions.

1. Since my car is a leaser, will the betalink come off without ruining the paint in a few years?

2. Would the 3M VHB tape be strong enough to hold at high speeds? Does it hold as well as betalink?

Thanks ahead of time for any help with this.
Why not just leave it on the car when you turn it in? It's a bmw accessory so I doubt the dealer will have a problem with it. The hassle of trying to remove it would not be worth the effort in my opinion.. 3M tape or betalink.

The nice thing about the betalink is the overall bonding surface on the spoiler is not perfectly flat. You apply the betalink to the entire surface like icing on a cake and it compresses when you install the spoiler, adhering to the entire surface area. It would not be as easy to do with 3M tape so you would be relying on a smaller surface area for the bond.

Another thing to keep in mind is the CF spoiler isn't solid. It's hollow and the forward part bonds to the top of the trunk lid while the aft surface bonds to the back corner of the lid. You would need to apply a strip of 3M tape to both the front and rear edges of the spoiler and hope neither breaks its bond.

The last thing is the aft end of the spoiler sticks to an area of the trunk normally exposed when the stock spoiler installed. If you try to swap back to the stock spoiler the areas where the CF spoiler was adhered will be visible.. so you would need to be VERY careful when removing the CF spoiler with betalink or 3M tape.

As I said, I would install it properly with betalink and forget about trying to remove it.