Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkuba View Post
Again, thank you very much.

You have made my decision much easier.

Just when you say:

"yes, you can unbolt the front crossmember and have the front wide open. easier."

I'm not sure I follow. To me a cross member is what the motor rests on, and if you unbolted that, the motor would drop or sag, and there would be no influence on the front end of the vehicle.

On another note, I don't understand what is the cause of the negativity from most others. The way I see it, it could be several reasons.

- Is it that because so many projects end up unfinished due to lack of time/money?

- Is it that because so many projects end up unfinished due to lack of motivation?

- Or is it because so many BMW projects in particular end up unfinished? Because they are more complex than most other cars, or for whatever other reason that is unique to BMW/Euro cars?

What I am basically asking is if I am being warned against taking on a BMW project, or just "don't start a project car" in general?

I suppose people's responses will vary.

PS. That realoem.com is awesome.
sorry, i meant front carrier/beam thing, got confused with names

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...02&hg=51&fg=15

- yes

- yes

- swapping a motor of the same 'generation' (E8x motor into E8x.. or even say an S65, which requires a few more parts at least) isn't a huge project... getting an N54 into .. well, anything older, is a bit different. - I can't speak for them specifically in this thread, but as a global thing, MANY people get part way through projects and life/money/motivation issues happen.

I'd say my lack of major progress for so long isn't helping either lol

A couple of big differences between N54/E8x and say, S54 or an older BMW motor... everything's even more heavily tied together electronic wise, and there's still no real affordable aftermarket engine management solution, given the direct injection and other complexities inside.. compared to an older motor where if you want you can run just about anything decent.. drop an S54 into an E30? sweet!.. N54 into E30? unless you can/want to spend megabucks on a Motec, you have to carry over a lot more electronics for the stock immobilisation.

N54 into E87.. well there's already two that i know of over in europe - the only thing stopping you is motivation and the money to do so.

Heck, people put chain driven bike engines in cars all the time, JZ's, RB's, rotors, and large V8's into cars that have no business having them, are much larger projects requiring custom engine mounts, custom brake setups often, and hand wired ECM.

Last edited by flinchy; 12-05-2013 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0