12-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #40
Kkuba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie M3ti View Post
Hi Kuba,

Sorry I hadn't checked the thread in the last few days.

Even when you take the loom across (highly recommended) there may be still some components that have to stay in the original chassis. An example for an E87 is that the LCI tail lights have a different plug to the earlier version. Therefore you need to either change the light (easy if from E87 to E87) or splice in the new connector.

Some examples from your conversion is rear doors and windows, hatch and rear lights. You may need to splice in wiring for these. Also you may want to remove the convertible top wiring.

You may also need to do some coding for the rear doors etc as well as the convertible.

None of these issues should be a problem, you just need to go in with eyes open.

Cheers

Brian
Hey,

Appreciate your response very much.

I do have some questions though.

Sorry, I should clarify some ambiguity in my post. I meant the whole *engine* loom, as it is my understanding that the engine loom simply unplugs from the body loom, with a common connector to all the other engine looms.

Simplified: Pull out engine, pull out engine harness, plug and install new engine harness, install new engine. Install new ECU, re-code for non-iDrive, 5 doors, non-'vert, ready to go?

Is this not how it works?

Only thing with above is I'm not sure what are the responsibilities of BCM and ECU and if there is any cross over. ie. if they are completely separate, then maybe no/minimal re-coding required.

But coding i suppose is the least of my worries.

Thanks again for your help.
Appreciate 0