10-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #20
chili555
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I find the 135 fairly easy to heel-toe, but the sensitive brakes make it very jerky at lower speeds. As stated, the brake pedal is pressure sensitive and when I heel-toe while not driving aggressively, it is hard to be smooth. My 135 brakes are so sensitive, it is hard to stop smoothly even without heel-toeing.
Exactly! It's a lot easier and smoother to heel and toe and slow for a turn from 130mph then it is from 45mph. In a high performance situation, that is at speed, you can press the brake pedal to its firm spot and use that as a solid platform to rock your heel towards the gas pedal. If you press the brake firmly enough to find a firm spot in city traffic at low speeds, then braking distances, brake pad life and tire wear will be very short.

Nonetheless, if you expect to be proficient at track days or club racing, it helps immensely to practice.

Remember, brake pads are less expensive and easier to replace than a clutch and/or transmission. Decelerating for a turn should be done with the brakes only.
Appreciate 0