Maxicono
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i BSM/Coral Red

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
LUX Install Horror Story: Need Advice Re: Headlight Unit

Hey guys...I'm in quite a predicament right now and this is a bit of a long story so strap in...An opinions/help would be greatly appreciated as I'm in quite poor spirits right now...

I have a '12 135i -- leased in September '12

Bought LUX angel eyes in December as Christmas gift.

Not too familiar with installation of them, but heard install was quite simple, so I took it to the local modifications shop (thats familiar with HIDs and different electronics/tinting/rims etc.) and had them attempt to install them.

Manager is a bit of an idiot/was blowing me off a bit since I look like I'm 19, but whatever...he's not installing them.

Within 5 mins of install and driving the car around --> Adaptive Headlight error comes on.

OK...very patiently tell shop to try and place them a certain way in the housing...to no avail. They say there's "nothing that they can do" since they don't "back the product."

Live with the annoying adaptive headlight ringing for about a month, then the LUX started to dim/flicker randomly.

Bring it back to the shop, they say its the bulb and not their installation that's the problem...OK...tell them to place the stock bulbs back in.

**While taking LUX bulbs out of car, one of the workers knocks one of the stock bulbs to the ground and it breaks**

Complain to shop manager, he says he'll rectify by putting H11's as opposed to the H8's that were in there. I tell him I want the same bulbs as the OEM ones and he assures me that there is no difference in condition or quality between the two bulbs, and that BMW won't give me a problem.

I tell him verbally that if I ever incur a problem with BMW and these replacement bulbs, it will be his responsibility to solve the problem. He assures me there won't be a problem and mentions that act that prevents car manufacturer's from voiding your warranty for modifications. (can't remember the name)

Then...about 2 months ago, right when summer started, I began to notice condensation forming in my passenger side headlight, mainly from the humidity. I also notice I've been getting a "right low beam malfunction" with the adaptive headlight error. I was a little alarmed, but I wasn't able to go to a BMW dealership until today to get it checked out/my fluids topped off.

I explained to the Service Adviser about the condensation and error codes, and he said he would take a look.

He comes back to me after an hour and states that there was an "aftermarket" bulb in the passenger headlight, and that I had replaced the bulb and did not place the cap that encloses it on correctly. This space had allowed moisture to come into the housing, and had ruined the electronics of the headlight.

I denied all claims of me altering the headlight, and I had no explanation for the different bulb that was in the headlight. I just kept on saying I didn't know.

Service adviser states that because its an aftermarket bulb and the housing was not placed on correctly, that I am at fault for letting the condensation in, and that BMW will not cover it under warranty.

SA informs me that repairs will cost about $2k and my stomach turned.

The asshole manager at the shop I vowed never to go back to seems really money hungry and will probably not honor the agreement he made, especially for $2,000.

One of my friends suggested buying the OEM bulb, exchanging it for the "aftermarket" bulb, and taking it to another dealer and just playing dumb. I thought this wasn't very smart since it's definitely on file with BMW.

Don't really know what route to take now guys...

If anyone has any connections or suggestions they can help out with to settle this...it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm in the New York Metro area btw.

And I don't want to knock LUX for any of this...their headlights are spectacular and I just wish the install wouldn't have resulted in this predicament.

Thanks for reading/being patient lol.
Appreciate 0