View Single Post
      04-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
edentel
Rep
Drives:

Unhappy Scratched the screen... now what... *sigh*

You can read my story of woe below if you want a chuckle. But first the 2 questions:

1) Whats the way to pop the navi-lcd cowl on the dash of an 09 135i?
2) Anyone do this yet and take note of the make/model of the lcd panel for the i-Drive?

So now the story...

Weeeeell in the middle of cleaning the car up I had a real nice accident. I was using a detailing brush from Target to clean the i-Drive screen on my 09 135i and managed to put a nice set of scratches in it. The end of the brush apparently lost it's rubber safety cap while let the metal wire tip at the screen.

I've been reading up on DIY repairs and so far I'm 0 for 3. Well I did manage to reduce the scratch, but at the expense of the anti-glare coating. I've got a a nice shiny section on the screen now. A little more reading and it looks like if I was truly desparate enough I could pull the screen and re-coat it with one of a few methods that seem a bit iffy.

At this point it looks like I'm going to have to replace the screen. I'll call a local dealership tomorrow and fidn out what they want. THat seems to be the only official way to do it, as I see in the retrofit thread that the monitor isn't available as a part to order yet.

The only other thought I've had is trying to just replace the LCD by going through a display dealer. I've had some luck upgrading and salvaging laptops that way in the past.

That brings us back to the quesitons. Anyone know the make and model of the LCD panel? Second, how do you pop the cowl off to get at the bugger?

Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated!
Appreciate 0