12-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Christmas Drive

Hi all.

My Mum lives in Augusta,WA, so I drove down there ob Christmas Eve and returned on Boxing Day. Yeah, not long, but long enough .

It's approx 315km. Anyway, I didn't want to push it too much on the way down, so just enjoyed the drive. Was a little put off by the fuel economy, was about 9.8 which surprised me somewhat considering that I get better than that on a freeway run, but put it down to the stop / start factor. It was scary how quickly you get to 80km/h if you don't concentrate in sub 110km/h zones!

Got to Augusta, Mum likes the car but couldn't car less about the gadgets fitted and couldn't understand why I 'needed' NAV as it was too distracting.

However, on the return trip, I came back up Sues Rd and gave it a bit of a run (thet's just leave it at that, huh) and then left it at that on Cruise Control for 50+km's until back in 'non-bush' country. Man, this car is fun to drive!

Some observations:

Wonder why there's no indication that cruise control is on?

When washing the windows from bug attacks, it's annoying that the water flows along the drivers side window.

The Pro Nav wildly over-estimates arrival time on long trips, my 3.5-4 hour drive was anticipated to be 6 hours when I first started. Weird.

I love this car! Was the talk of the BBQ lunch that I dropped into at Hamelin Bay, everyoine wanted a look and a sit in it. The CA's the winner 'gadget' too.

Here's a Google Map of the route for those not familiar with WA, maybe us Perthites should do a run down Caves Road one weekend: