10-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakelocati View Post
I know this thread is a bit old now, but I thought I would just chime in. I just recently got a 2009 135i 6mt. I have a similar feeling with the shifter. It can be grindy/stiff time from time. Mostly when I am going into second from first, or when I am cruising in like third gear come to a stop with the clutch in and then put it in first at like 5 mph. I don't understand why it does this, but it's sort of annoying. I like the new transmission fluid idea, but I am going to wait until after the warranty is up. Also, I had the BMS clutch stop with two shims in it. I think it was not engaging completely, as it felt a little bit rougher when moving the shifter. Shifts were just as smooth though. Maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me or has anyone else had similar problems with the clutch stop? I ended up removing all of the shims, and it feels a bit better on engagement, but I'm still unsure. It still does the grinding feel like I said earlier even without the clutch stop. I should add that I have never heard the gears grinding when I shift, just the feel as explained in this thread.
You should NEVER do THAT! The only time you should put the car in gear is when the car is stopped. NOT while it is moving. Sure you can do that... but you will wear out your syncros.

A good habit is when coming to a stop say from third gear... push the clutch in just before the engine starts to bog or stall... coast that little bit to a halt... then before engaging 1st gear put the shifter into 2nd gear AND then into 1st gear slot!

As for your notchy rough shifter... it is 80% the trans fluid. You could have a bad or worn trans already. Or even a worn clutch, that is not fully disengaging. But my money is on your trans fluid and CDV. The CDV really makes the 1st 2nd gear changes so much nicer.

IF the car is still under warranty why not ask your dealer to look at it?

Dack
Appreciate 0