05-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #146
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Hmm, that's interesting, and makes me weary of picking the wrong fill. Though I suppose that's why I'm here researching it now. Would rather get the right fluid on the first go. I also have the SSK, plus the BMW clutch stopper and CDV delete, oh and the M3 gearbox mounts.
I have the CDV delete and the Performance SSK - and I use Redline D4 ATF in my manual trans. So far for almost 45K kms with no problems. I recommend the D4.

Quote:
However, even with all these little mods the shifting is still notchy and I can't get a good quick shift from 1st to 2nd.
No fluid will fix a mechanical problem like worn syncros. My trans also has a notchy 2nd gear... it really doesn't bother me too much. Our car's aren't built for 0-60 runs. But rather speed and curves.

After I first changed my trans fluid to MTF-LT-4, I did not notice any difference in shift smoothness. In fact I say it got a little bit worse when cold. I then switched to Redline ATF D4... I did notice far lighter shifter effort and a smoother opperation from gear to gear.

Quote:
Also my car sometimes decides it doesn't want to go into first, which is frustrating at a set of lights, as it requires letting the clutch back out and then putting it back in before it lets me select first.
This to me sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Here is a test to tell... next time it happens at a traffic light (car not moving), with your foot on the clutch(foot down) and your right hand trying to engage 1st gear... with your left hand... reach over to the start/stop button and switch the engine off. Does the shifter go into first just as the revs fall stop? Then it is your clutch hanging up. You need a new clutch and you need to have the tran's input splines cleaned thoroughly with a wire brush.

Quote:
I'm hoping that fresh fluid would help with this and prove to be a very worthwhile "mod" (or routine maintenance to any petrolhead).
Changing the trans fluid can not hurt matters. You have everything to gain and not much to loose. Of course if your trans is still under warranty just let your dealer order a "fresh one" and have them replace all the clutch parts while they are in there. Also that pesky rear main seal that seems to go bad on a lot of 135i's, I would have that replaced too.

Dackel
Appreciate 0