View Single Post
      12-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

DIY: Install the dash top storage bin

I decided I wanted to install the dash top storage compartment that’s available outside of North America. A quick check of real-oem showed there is a retrofit kit available

Step 1

I ordered the storage compartment retrofit kit Part # 51450428424 from Tischer BMW, and it took 3 weeks to come from Germany and cost $85. It comes with a cutting template, fasteners, a wiring harness and the storage bin. It didn't come with the install instructions, but Jason at Tischer emailed them to me. These instructions are basically useless as most of the diagrams are missing or incorrect.

Step 2

Cut out and align the cutting template and stick it to the dash. I used a marker to mark where to cut, than removed the template.

Step 3

Now it’s time to cut a big hole in your dash. The install instructions say to use a vibratory saw for this but I don’t now where you would find one of these. I ended up using a rotary tool with a flex shaft and a rotozip bit. It mostly just melted through the plastic, but it worked fairly well.

Step 4

Remove the center vent using a plastic trim tool at 4 points, where the indentations are on the dash panel.

Step 5

Install the supplied metal clips in the mounting points in the dash

Step 6

Connect the wire on the storage bin to the unused connector clipped to the steel tube in the dash. This is for the light in the storage compartment
The Kit also comes with a wiring harness that is meant to tie into the glovebox light wiring. DO NOT USE THIS. The glove box light always has power so if you use this, the storage compartment light will always been on. The unused plug already in the dash is tied to the interior lights and is only powered when the headlights are on.

Step 7

Remove the rubber matt from inside the storage compartment. Then install the compartment into the dash.

Step 8
Install the 4 torx screws that secure the storage compartment to the dash

Step 9

Reinstall the rubber matt, then reinstall the center vent

Step 10

Vacuum up all the plastic shavings that are now all over your interior.

And that’s it, you are done
Attached Images