View Single Post
      08-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #20
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskurn View Post
I don't want to offend anyone, but isn't VW in really bad shape?

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/...lling_out.html

The have recently been crowned the recall king.
Naah, I don't think so. Recall for brake light switch, big whoop. I give the recall crown to 'yota for the sludge

As to whether VW will stick around... Who knows, I suspect they will. The MKIV's had reliability issues, and this really hurt the traditional customer who viewed VW as a car with longevity, as well as public opinion. The new MKV's are great, but too expensive to produce, so VAG is looking at reducing cost for the MKVI.

VAG also bet too much $$ on the Phaeton and the Touareg is also expensive to produce, and costly. Passat sales are way down--no wonder, it's boring as heck. Sales are down of those models (well, the Phaeton is gone).

The Rabbit is selling VERY well, though, as is the GTI and the EOS. Those recent sales numbers have been quite positive.

I don't think VW is going anywhere... But the next few years will make or break that, I think. VW needs to stop pushing the upper ends lux boundaries, and get back to being a "Volks Wagen" IMO. I do think they've built some brand identity on nice interiors, and as such should stick with that... But $50k+ VWs? Naah. Focus on the redesign of the bread and butter Jetta, pushing the fantastic new TDIs, and deliver one in the new small SUV (Tiguan).
Appreciate 0