View Single Post
      08-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #21
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Yeah, the problem came about when BMW abandoned their traditional interior design language with the E90. I remember being so horrified when the E90 first came out when I saw how terrible the dash layout was, especially without navigation. Then they refuse to admit they are wrong with idrive.

Any of the MK5 Volkswagen interiors are superior to the current 3 and 1 series, especially the R32/Eos/GLI/GTI. Plus they got that new badass Siemens VDO RNS510 touchscreen navigation with Bluetooth, SD card reader, 30gb hard drive, ability to interface with a rear looking camera.

Video -

That just puts BMW's tail between its legs and sends it crying home to momma. Retarded idrive.
In some ways, yes. Personally, I'm not a fan of touch-screen anything... I had a touchscreen NAV in my old Land Rover LR3, and the lag of the screen, plus the constant need to deal with fingerprints, was annoying. (The NAV system itself was quite good, tho, and thank goodness for standard radio and HVAC buttons!).

I'm totally with you on idrive: it sux, plain and simple.

But honestly, while I do occasionally listen to the radio in the car, I don't need all that mumbo jumbo. I actually like manual climate control. Give me old fashioned knobs and wheels, and not to many of 'em. I tend to leave the radio off and listen to the revs climb and fall, silent in my thoughts. In my drive of the 3er's, I liked the non-idrive 3er interior a lot; I thought it was just as enjoyable, and in some ways more enjoyable, to interface with than my MKV. But remember, I'm primarily focused on the driving experience, and excepting the bizarre operation of the turnsignal, I got along with the 3 quite well.

The interior certainly wasn't $10k more enjoyable than my MKV, more comaprable, IMO... But the chassis was worth it:roundel:
Appreciate 0