View Single Post
      08-21-2007, 08:39 PM   #39
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woj View Post
I just don't see the appeal of the 128i. Flame me if you will, but my modded GTI is too much fun to ditch for the BMW moniker with no HP, no torque and no M brakes.
For those that want to have the bimmer just for the sake of having it, you can have it. I really see the role only as bait to lure more new customers at a lower price point.
This is not a small car and with the current crop of Hondas, Nissans and the like, the outlined power band is just not competitive. That used Boxster is looking better by the month......
I'm sorry but a 128i will blow your GTI out the water in just about EVERYTHING. All this M this and that is a bunch of crap. GTI's are fat pigs compared to Civic SI's and Coopers. I'm sure your chip makes you enjoy lots of torque steer(yanks the wheel right out of your hand). They win comparisons because its a bit maturer and has a spiffy interior.

A 3400LB 328i achieves 60 in 6.1 seconds. I expect the NO TORQUE, NO HP 128i to do it in more than likely 5.8-5.9seconds. Thats probably what your Chipped GTI is going with your mods now since stock is what? 6.7seconds. And lets not even get started on handling. Its not as athetlic as the Civic SI, so go somewhere with ragging on the 128i.

Edit: And this is coming from a person whose first car was a 2002 Jetta.