View Single Post
      04-26-2007, 12:23 AM   #53
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
I couldn't find the article you're talking about online, must be too new. It would be interesting to know if the comparison was against the 2.0T Eos in the C/D article? That would make for quite a different and unfair comparison. Mainly because the higher spec 3.2L Eos fully loaded finishes up about $1000 less than where the 328i convertible starts. I will admit that even I found it surprising Autobild outrated a 335i. I would have expected that result with the 328i though.

My point though is pretty basic. Every time the Eos has been brought up in this thread you see comments like "The VW Eos may be in a similar price segment, but it's really reaching to call that competition." Or "
"Sweet 16th Birthday Present for Daddy's 'Little Girl.' I don't think BMW should be concerned." But the fact of the matter is that the Eos is a serious and focused product, and its legitimate competition for the 3 series convertible (and by some Teutonic measures wins out), which makes it more than legitimate competition for the 1 series, there's no "reaching" about that comparison. And if daddy has bought his little girl an Eos with a 250hp 3.2, there's a good chance she can leave you're ass behind at a red light if you're in a 328i convertible, and she won't have to fumble around with a silly idrive while doing it.

I see where your coming from. I believe it is a direct competitor for the 1. My neighbor got the Caranddriver in the mail today so it must be May's. I dont recall which Eos but i believe it came in 3rd. It was interesting b/c the 328i conv weighs about 3800lbs and had 230hp and 200lbs of torque. It still whipped to 60mph in 6.6seconds. I was really impressed. I'll have to pick it up tommorow....
Appreciate 0