Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
We've used the ID10 in the E90 Level One sub-add package since day one. We use a 250W amp. Why? Because 250W is what the speaker's voice coil is rated to handle electrically, and because Arc makes a fan-cooled micro-sized amp with some internal circuitry to let it work well with the Top HiFi system. I have no idea if the suspension makes noise when running it at higher power levels (actually, what it would make noise at is higher excursions, which is also enclosure-dependent), and I suspect the designer didn't care either, since the Pe is 250W RMS, but I can say this: E90 owners get plenty of low-end output with 250W in our Level One system, and the transfer from the E90 trunk to the cabin isn't any easier than it is in the E82.
Agreed. I didn't mean to sound critical and perhaps I could have worded it better. The point I was trying to make is that your setup seems to be oriented towards complimenting a fairly moderate system - and one that's aimed at SQ rather than SPL - obviously. As you've mentioned -this is a stage 1 upgrade...

Quote:
We've done plenty - plenty - of fully-upgraded amplified systems with the ID10 in the E90 sedan, and it works very well. The only time I would suggest adding this to stock speakers is if you have the Top HiFi (Logic 7 or harman/kardon) system. Even then, I'm pretty critical of that system, and our upgrades sound better.
Yup. I started with the Stock setup and it is woeful...

Quote:
Now, comparing an ID10 to a 10W6 is kind of apples-and-oranges - and I am sure no one meant to make such a comparison. You don't buy a W6 unless you are looking for a LOT of bass output. We work with both lines here, we are a dealer for both, and the W6 is a totally different animal than the ID series.
As you say, I never meant to compare them as anything more than a way to illustrate that there are indeed WIDELY varying levels of Audio Setups and to say that what you have listed is not really anything like what's in my car..

Quote:
I can't quite figure out what you're trying to say here. We're talking about an enclosure, and also an enclosure with one of the woofers available in our Level One package. We have systems which can be ordered with three different ID models, including the IDMAX, the JL W3 and W6, and the Morel Ultimo and Ultimo SC. Are you seriously trying to say that this enclosure isn't capable of supporting a woofer that is part of a "seriously powerful setup"? Are are you just saying that using the ID woofer in a high-powered aftermarket system might be the wrong choice (which I agree with - we only use the ID woofer in Level One).
Yes. I was specifically talking about the enclosure/woofer combination. You had not previously mentioned the IDMAX or the JL Subs and I actually questioned whether or not a 10w6 would fit with regard to mounting depth. A question which you did not specifically answer but if you do a higher level system that includes it then I guess the answer is yes...

Just to re-iterate: I wasn't questioning or criticising the enclosure or Sub - more commenting that if you like the sound of my system then THAT COMBINATION is probably not your cup of tea... Apples and Oranges - as you said earlier...