bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
When you push the "DTC" button once, the traction control goes into
"Dynamic Traction Control" mode. It does not turn traction control off, it becomes "Dynamic", indicated by the lit up letters. DTC allows some tire slip, and thus a bit quicker 0 to 60 or 1/4 mile run.
Also, this mode allows the driver to get out of being stuck in snow, as it allows the tires to slip while not cutting engine power, so you can get out of being stuck.

Many BMW drivers don't know this feature. I had to help a 7 series driver get up a modest hill when it frosted/light iced in the winter. Traffic stopped due to a car going off into a ditch and the 7 driver ended up sitting at the beginning of the hills incline. As he tried to get going the tires easily slipped and the ECU cut the power, so he couldn't get the tires spinning enough to get him up the modest hill.
His buddy got out to push, but it didn't help cause as soon as the tires slipped, no power.
I was a few cars behind. I got out of my car and went up to him and told him to push the button one time. His buddy and I then went to push.
He applied throttle, tires began spinning, we pushed lightly to help it get going and all was well. The driver then asked me about the "button".
He had no idea what it was for.

So, in standard default mode, TC-traction control and DSC are on.
One push puts the car in "Dynamic" mode, which allows some tire slippage that can help in certain conditions, and allows a bit more fun.
The DSC remains on at this point to help out if the driver gets in over his ability.

From standard mode, push and hold the button for at least 3-5 seconds and both TC-traction control and DSC will turn off. This is indicated by a symbol that lights up on the gauge panel between your tach and speedo. You are now in full manual RWD mode. You can burn the tread off your tires and the ECU won't care. You can drift as much as you want given your ability. Careful if you're not experienced driving RWD as you can also spin the rear around completely, which is not advised.

Those of you not experienced with driving high power RWD, or even RWD in general, should first take your car to an empty parking lot and get a feel for what happens when the TC and DSC systems are not involved. Do this also when the parking lot is wet as that will quickly advise you of what those systems are doing, and how your car handles when they are not in play.

ABS is always on and can not be disabled.
I would like to be able to shut it off as it doesn't work so well on snowy roads. But, manufacturers won't do that as most people wouldn't know how to or why to shut it off, and the remember to turn it back on.
Plus of course there a legal reasons.
great explanation of dsc dtc
Appreciate 0