01-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #35
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I concur with Numb3rs. BMW's "M Boss" Kay Segler has been specifically quoted as saying "the engine will re-adopt a twin-turbocharged layout".

This is by no means a N55 engine with it's single twin-scroll turbo design.

This has been posted and debated before on this forum here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337931

It's been stated that it was going to use the N55, but the single turbo was going to be replaced by twins, but with a different setup than the N54 is using.

If they're going to stuff the N54 in there and tweak it, that will cross it off the list for me.

That doesn't seem to be the case though. From the article you linked to:

Quote:
While the powerplant in that car was never revealed, the new M car will use a revised version of BMW’s latest turbocharged straight six. In standard guise the 3.0-litre unit, recently unveiled in the 535i GT, uses a twin-scroll turbo aimed at providing a more linear delivery of power and better fuel economy than the earlier twin-turbocharged unit used in the 135i.

For the new M car the engine will re-adopt a twin-turbocharged layout, although the new system is said to differ quite dramatically from that used on the older engine; it’s likely to get a new turbo and a more efficient intercooler arrangement.
Appreciate 0