View Single Post
      10-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #19
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

Hi Folks,

Just an update on my battery clock/memory issues.

It has been two weeks since I lost the memory on my clock and as suggested, I have trying to use the car more.

I thought that I was OK but yesterday morning it happened again. Car cranked and ran fine but no clock settings saved.

I called a dealer who I have been using for service and they told me that battery would NOT be covered under warranty even though my car is still under 4 year factory warranty. They quoted me $135 for diagnostics and $355 if battery was needed.

Without an appointment I took it to another dealer in the area who told me that there would be NO charge and if new battery was needed this would also be free since BMW allows for one free battery replacement during warranty. I gave them the car and waited while they ran diagnostics.

After about 20 minutes they told me that computer shows new battery needed. The reasons stored in computer were; lack of driver use, parking lights left on overnight (which I never did), and radio left on overnight (which I never did.) I do leave my Ipod plugged in at all times since I have the Ipod/USB adapter option.

They replaced battery (branded BMW manufactured by Exide) and gave me the following suggestions;
1) use car more
2) unplug Ipod after use for the day
3) keep car remote and bluetooth phone at least 50 feet from car when parked in garage overnight.
4)I have comfort access and they recommended locking car at night which I never do. They said that this shuts down additional power draws.
5) new battery is warranteed for two years but recommended to purchase BMW advanced charger and use this once a week or even more when weather gets very cold. Parts guy said that I need charger with alligator clips instead of cigarette lighter adapter since in my 08 128i lighter will shut down after car shut off. Oh, they also said that BMW will replace battery for free more often if needed if you buy charger and keep receipt. My SA said that this will provide BMW with further proof that you have followed their instructions should you have future problems.

I bought the charger from them for $68.95 plus tax which was the cheapest that I had seen them for on the Internet for and paid nothing else.

I am not very technical and don't understand some of their recommendations or findings however I will try what they said and hopefully things will be OK.

Ed
Appreciate 0