E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering Issue

04-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

Steering Issue

Hi all. Bear with me on this post, it might be a bit long. But I want to give everyone some background information so they can understand where I am coming from.

I had a small accident a few months ago. Some woman cut me off and forced me to drive over a rather high curb. The dealer fixed the car, and had a repair bill of over $6,000, because I needed two new rims, control arms on the left side, new tires, new dampners, etc. I went over the curb on the left side of the car.

However, they felt that they did not need to fix the steering rack, and so they did not quote it to the insurance company. When I got the car back, the only way I can describe the steering now is "loose". The suspension seems fine, and the handling is not really affected. The car responds to my inputs well.

But, that being said, something is still not right. The best way that I can describe it is it feels like there is play in the wheel, but the car responds when I turn the wheel. It just feels loose.

What I want to know is does anyone think that the dealer messed up the repairs? If I were to go ahead and change the steering rack, all the bushings, and get myself a set of Koni FSDs, would that fix this issue? I really love my car, but I don't want to hang onto something that can never be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Since you live in Bahrain, I'm not sure this will apply, but most insurance companies will allow you to go back and re-open the claim to fix other damage that was not originally found during the initial repair. They usually allow up to 1 or possibly 2 years for fixing this types of issues.

Check with the insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep

Okay, thanks for the heads up on that one. I will try again. After I got the car back from the initial repair, I told them that the steering still didn't feel right. The insurance company of the woman at fault sent an adjustor who had the dealer replace my rotors for some reason, thinking that would fix the issue. Obviously it didn't.

My question is that if I change the rack (or hydrolic steering component I think its called on RealOEM.com) and then dampners, as well as all the bushings and tie rods, will that fix or mitigate the problem? I guess you could say the steering doesn't feel as precise and its soft as opposed to the very hard/stiff, precision steering feel that it has when new.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
CRZ410S
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Since you live in Bahrain, I'm not sure this will apply, but most insurance companies will allow you to go back and re-open the claim to fix other damage that was not originally found during the initial repair. They usually allow up to 1 or possibly 2 years for fixing this types of issues.

Check with the insurance company.
+1 I have succesfullydone this before.
      04-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark192 View Post
Okay, thanks for the heads up on that one. I will try again. After I got the car back from the initial repair, I told them that the steering still didn't feel right. The insurance company of the woman at fault sent an adjustor who had the dealer replace my rotors for some reason, thinking that would fix the issue. Obviously it didn't.

My question is that if I change the rack (or hydrolic steering component I think its called on RealOEM.com) and then dampners, as well as all the bushings and tie rods, will that fix or mitigate the problem? I guess you could say the steering doesn't feel as precise and its soft as opposed to the very hard/stiff, precision steering feel that it has when new.
I'd say that if they replaced the control arms, wheels, dampers, there is probably damage to the steering rack. I'd have the insurance adjuster go to the dealer with you and drive your car and a new car(s) back to back. I can imagine damage to control arms that wouldn't effect the rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I'd recommend replacing just one component at a time so you know exactly which part is causing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Rick335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i / 2014 328i / 2017 X

drive a new one with the service advisor and then drive another 3series preferably a new one and compare. if not they would have get an FSE out there to drive the car if the tech nor shop foreman can't figure out. good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
We had a member from the Mid-Atlantic area get his 325i steering rack replaced, and the steering felt lighter to him afterwards. He didn't like it as much. Is it possible the newer steering rack is just a bit lighter?
      04-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
Rick335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i / 2014 328i / 2017 X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
We had a member from the Mid-Atlantic area get his 325i steering rack replaced, and the steering felt lighter to him afterwards. He didn't like it as much. Is it possible the newer steering rack is just a bit lighter?
the part# might have superseded the old rack. now the new rack might be refurbished and not brand new. i know this since i work for BMW and thats what we sometimes get, but not all the times.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #10
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

BMW has a bulletin stating that if any suspension component in the front end is replace due to an accident the steering rack NEEDS to be replaced...just did one a month or so ago due to a wreck...and the rack for a non active steering car is over $1400..just so you know
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 01:21 AM   #11
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep

hey guys, thanks for chiming in. I have been a bit busy recently, so I didnt get a chance to check on the thread until now.

What I am thinking of doing is getting the rack replaced, as well as all the bushings and balljoints, as well as all the shocks replaced. I think part of the issue is that the left side of my car is new, and the right side is original.

I've had a few people drive the car and they tell me that the car turns quickly to the left and slower to the right. Any idea what this could mean?
Appreciate 0