BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #155
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
if bmw have spent huge amounts of cash researching and testing to make a turbo m car with as much throttle response as a na car and making the driver feel as linked to the car as possible i don't want to throw that out the window for the sake of 10% more power.
for me throttle response and connection to the motor and car are key, and the m car is designed to do that, so i am happy stock.

the only mod i would do is the exhaust, maybe
Agree, don't think the 1M needs more power. Seems from all the reviews that it is VERY fast. I don't think a tune will be as effective as on a 135i.

Akra pipes are very appealing. but very $$$ way to add 15HP, but the sounds is simply glorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Throttle response seems fine on my car
Not response, rather the way the power is delivered. The JB/Procede are very aggressive in their delivery, JB more so.
      11-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #156
Ian///M
Major General

Also to add to this perspective .... Joe you said that the 1M felt faster & more powerful than you 255kW vert ?
      11-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #157
gazz
///Mbassador

Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
You chaps need to come to Wakefield in December so we can compare a 1M and a 335!!!!

Come on chaps man up otherwise it's me (with BMW) against the poobs :-(
Having gone from a 335i to a 1M I can say that, given equal drivers, the 335i will be slaughtered on a track against a 1M. Just the M differential means a huge advantage in getting power down, plus brakes, turn in, power, M3 chassis, etc etc. I loved my 335i and it is an outstanding road car but on a track it's no contest.

It's bordering on scandalous that a car like the 335i doesn't have at least a partially locking diff'. I imagine it's the same for the 1ers. Hell a 1973 Alfa 2000 GTV with a puny 97.7 Kw had a 25% locking diff'.
gazz is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #158
Ian///M
Major General

+1 it would be a stupid comparison. As I saw yesterday with Alex's 1M vs my 135i (even with LSD & PS) ... I would be close in the dry, but track driving comes down to chassis and suspension, not really power. E.g. A mates Lotus Elise kills my 135i on the track simply due to the cornering ability...I can catch up on the straights, but generally too late.

A stock 335i will be very average on a track, esp the braking, lack of LSD and soft suspension.

IMO track driving can be fun in most cars... not about lap times, but rather what you can get out of your car and the fun in the process.
      11-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #159
pcockley
Banned

Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Having gone from a 335i to a 1M I can say that, given equal drivers, the 335i will be slaughtered on a track against a 1M. Just the M differential means a huge advantage in getting power down, plus brakes, turn in, power, M3 chassis, etc etc. I loved my 335i and it is an outstanding road car but on a track it's no contest.

It's bordering on scandalous that a car like the 335i doesn't have at least a partially locking diff'. I imagine it's the same for the 1ers. Hell a 1973 Alfa 2000 GTV with a puny 97.7 Kw had a 25% locking diff'.
Back in the late 70's and early 80's I think they did, it was dropped to differentiate the M from the rest

I guess at the end of the day gotta get something to justify an extra 50k over a 335 for the M. For my money (well what I am allowed to spend anyway) a 335 with tune, dp's, FMIC, meth, quaife and M suspension runs to about 10k
      11-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #160
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Back in the late 70's and early 80's I think they did, it was dropped to differentiate the M from the rest

I guess at the end of the day gotta get something to justify an extra 50k over a 335 for the M. For my money (well what I am allowed to spend anyway) a 335 with tune, dp's, FMIC, meth, quaife and M suspension runs to about 10k
Good luck with that! it will be a good car, but a //M car will run rings around it.... That is just a fact!
      11-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #161
pcockley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Good luck with that! it will be a good car, but a //M car will run rings around it.... That is just a fact!
I dont see why, if I address the power and suspension they should be pretty equal.
      11-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #162
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Many modern sports cars such as Porche, Merc C63 (added extra option on C63) don't have LSD's. 135i & 335i definitely need some form of locking diff, but again, they are not track designed cars like the M's are. The M-diff is superior to aftermarket LSDs.
      11-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #163
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
I dont see why, if I address the power and suspension they should be pretty equal.
See my car's specs.... BMW PS, Quaife, M3 bits, tune etc. While it is vastly better than stock, very capable and huge fun, it's not close to an M3 on the track. I have swapped cars with an M3, and even though I'm not the fastest driver on the track, times were similar, so driver out of the equation. The M just did the job with less fuss & better.
      11-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #164
lavaletta
Private First Class

Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Quote:
With respect, without specifics that 's a pretty vague proposition. I could just as easily say that if I address the power and suspension in my 1M I can have it performing like a GT3 RS 4.0....it's an easy statement to make.
      11-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #165
RaihaX
Major General

Drives: 08' 135i

I suppose you could always put all the m3 chassis and suspension components and that should get it close to a real m3?
RaihaX is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #166
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
I suppose you could always put all the m3 chassis and suspension components and that should get it close to a real m3?
Not really, there is the M-diff & wider track on the //M too, plus the way the car's electronics are programmed to respond & understand the suspension it has fitted.
      11-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #167
MrBlonde
Welcome! To the House of Batiatus!

Drives: 368 M Coupe, E82 135i, E70 X5

Send a message via MSN to MrBlonde
Quote:
Agree, don't think the 1M needs more power.
For street use or circuit days (club track sprints), agreed.

For drag racing it needs a LOT more power.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
      11-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #168
RaihaX
Major General

Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Not really, there is the M-diff & wider track on the //M too, plus the way the car's electronics are programmed to respond & understand the suspension it has fitted.
Yeah I guess when i say chassis and suspension it means retrofitting the m3 diff and putting m3 body with the wider fender as well, but you are right with the car's electronic i suppose.
RaihaX is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #169
pcockley
Banned

My expectation is with the following kit http://hpashop.com/BMW-E8X-E9X-to-M3...conversion.htm from Harold the man that I am gonna get 90+% the way there, throw in a Quaife and full bolt ons and I doubt an M3 will run rings around it.
      11-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #170
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
My expectation is with the following kit http://hpashop.com/BMW-E8X-E9X-to-M3...conversion.htm from Harold the man that I am gonna get 90+% the way there, throw in a Quaife and full bolt ons and I doubt an M3 will run rings around it.
Just buy a 2nd hand M3 ... $95k for a decent one now days

As I said, ANY car can be fun on the track etc. There is good fun in improving it via mods etc, but it is naive to think that you can turn a 335i into a M3, or a 135i into a 1M.
If you want to get competitive on the track, then get a purpose built track car, not a +$100k car that isn't insured when you push the limits
      11-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #171
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
For street use or circuit days (club track sprints), agreed.

For drag racing it needs a LOT more power.
Kenny, you always want more power
      11-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #172
BMW86
Major General

Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja

Interesting comments in this thread. Some of you guys really need to experience a tune, you are really missing out on somethign special. And before you say the power delivery of the 1M is so smooth check out some of the power curves of tuned N54's first. It's quite epic.

I'm not going to lie, my 135i feels slow on stock map (190-195kw) and Map 1 (235kw). Map 2 (249kw) feels like the perfect 'minimum' level for me. The 1M dynos at 220kw... When you line the 2 cars up side by side then you'll see what it's all about... seeing is believing

On the track, it's another story. I'm going out to QR and will most likely use Map 2 or my Meth maps but at Lakeside I will probably tone it down to Map 1 power because that track is all about the handling and corners.

IMHO, all a 1M needs is some kind of tune - especially since it's so easy, otherwise it's a great out of the box. Do it, it's the best few hundred bucks you will ever spend.
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #173
pcockley
Banned

mmm See the best thing about a white 135 is THE BABE SPREAD OUT IN FRONT......

seriously there's not too much difference from a spec'd 135 and a 1M in price where as in a 3 its over 50K thats a joke and as a DD the M3 is no where as nice to drive as a 335. Well I'm only comparing a mates manual M3 to my DCT 335, so perhaps thats the unfair bit.
      11-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #174
beemer
force fed Member

Drives: BSM 1M

not if it takes even a bees dick of throttle response out of it, i really learned how inportant that was yesterday, if you cant feather the throttle while on the limit with the back wheels just hanging on then there is no fun in it. with a jb4 there is virtually no throttle control, its on or off, makes yor car un driveable in the wet at speed, unless your vettle or some kind of track god

jb4 on a 1m would be like tomato sauce on caviar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Interesting comments in this thread. Some of you guys really need to experience a tune, you are really missing out on somethign special. And before you say the power delivery of the 1M is so smooth check out some of the power curves of tuned N54's first. It's quite epic.

I'm not going to lie, my 135i feels slow on stock map (190-195kw) and Map 1 (235kw). Map 2 (249kw) feels like the perfect 'minimum' level for me. The 1M dynos at 220kw... When you line the 2 cars up side by side then you'll see what it's all about... seeing is believing

On the track, it's another story. I'm going out to QR and will most likely use Map 2 or my Meth maps but at Lakeside I will probably tone it down to Map 1 power because that track is all about the handling and corners.

IMHO, all a 1M needs is some kind of tune - especially since it's so easy, otherwise it's a great out of the box. Do it, it's the best few hundred bucks you will ever spend.
beemer is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #175
pcockley
Banned

Quote:
not if it takes even a bees dick of throttle response out of it, i really learned how inportant that was yesterday, if you cant feather the throttle while on the limit with the back wheels just hanging on then there is no fun in it. with a jb4 there is virtually no throttle control, its on or off, makes yor car un driveable in the wet at speed, unless your vettle or some kind of track god

Certainly cant agree with that, unless you are also adding stock tyres for both 135 and 1M but that would not be fair at all. So assuming same tread JB4 is pretty smooth in my book
      11-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #176
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:

Agreed.
A handheld flash, if maps done properly, could be brilliant on the 1M. Zuzu must do it first and report back!

So when's you dad buying my car Alex??