BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
choppedliver
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

135i extend warranties, front brakes and tail lights

Long time reader, first time poster :-)

I've got a Jan 09 135i convertible and was considering an extended warranty. A brief chat to North Shore BMW in Sydney that it's around $5000. I wonder what people's opinions are of these?

We've had the whole roof replaced by Trivett about a year ago when a hydraulic cylinder failed and it was $5K in parts, so I guess that's all good for a while. We also just had the right hand tail light fail so it needs to get that replaced (under warranty).

The other question is that the front brakes are low pads and discs. The discs squeal but given Northshore quoted $2000 for brakes and pads I've been holding out until they have to be replaced.

I gather there are OEM equivalents for both pads and discs that might be a lot cheaper. Any pointers to these and/or someone who can replace them?

Thanks

CL
choppedliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
ansch
Lieutenant
 
Drives: TiAg E90 320i, SGM 135i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 593
iTrader: (1)

What cover does the $5000 give you?

I paid < $3k for a 3 year 75,000km extended warranty

also got quoted $2400 for the 2 year warranty at the time.

Try to give toowoomba BMW a call. The guy there were very helpful and offered a discount without me asking. the metro bmw dealers in brisbane did not want to negotiate. It's backed by bmw (allianz) so the cover will work australia wide no matter where you purchase it.

Last edited by ansch; 11-21-2011 at 07:11 PM.
ansch is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Brigadier General
 
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
 
Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 4,744
iTrader: (3)

That warranty is negotiable.. I believe some people have picked up 2 year extended warranties for $2.5k...

Yes you can definitely get the brakes done much cheaper than 2k..

and something about taillights?
__________________
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
ippykaye
Lieutenant
 
ippykaye's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW 135i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney

Posts: 455
iTrader: (0)

I had a thread on extended warranties and prices paid. Its RRP is $4995 for 2 years. I got mine from Northshore and negotiated it down to $2400. Whether the discount is the same now I'm not sure. This seemed to be rock-bottom at the time. He wouldn't go lower and no one seems to want to match it.

Here's the link with final prices towards the end http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=10467438

The taillights are a known issue with the failing LEDs I think. Even if you didn't buy warranty, they should honor replacement if it fails.

BMR Autowerkes I'm sure can help you source brakes for much cheaper
http://www.facebook.com/BMRAutowerkes
ippykaye is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
MrBlonde
Welcome! To the House of Batiatus!
 
MrBlonde's Avatar
 
Drives: 368 M Coupe, E82 135i, E70 X5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to MrBlonde
Do not pay the full $5000 for a warranty as others have said, you can get it much cheaper.
__________________
.-=[ Kenny ]=-. 1999 BMW M Coupe 10.775 @ 134.35 mph w/1.600 60' (Best 136.07 mph) 25th August 2004. +2010 X5 35D+

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
MrBlonde is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 278
iTrader: (0)

My warranty is expiring in 6 months. Do they approach you or do you have to call them?

I'm guessing they will be calling given its money they want.
'fatboy' is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
choppedliver
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

[quote=ansch;10847052]What cover does the $5000 give you?[quote]

Not known yet. will know more next week when i talk to them.

Thanks
choppedliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
choppedliver
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post
I had a thread on extended warranties and prices paid. Its RRP is $4995 for 2 years. I got mine from Northshore and negotiated it down to $2400. Whether the discount is the same now I'm not sure. This seemed to be rock-bottom at the time. He wouldn't go lower and no one seems to want to match it.

Here's the link with final prices towards the end http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=10467438

The taillights are a known issue with the failing LEDs I think. Even if you didn't buy warranty, they should honor replacement if it fails.

BMR Autowerkes I'm sure can help you source brakes for much cheaper
http://www.facebook.com/BMRAutowerkes
Awesome! Will ring around on both items.

Byron
choppedliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
choppedliver
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Dumb question...how do I contact BMR Autowerkes. Apart from PM? Do they have a phone number?

Thanks

CF
choppedliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,326
iTrader: (0)

Everything is negotiable.. I got quoted $2850 for the 3 year warranty, before I sold the 135i..

fatboy: They should approach you for the extended warranty, as it has to be finalised withing 14 days of the factory warranty expiring... Or just give your dealership and others a call and negotiate.
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
BiMou
Private
 
BiMou's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

+1 for Toowoomba BMW. $2990 for 3yrs extended warranty, was also quoted $2350 for 2yrs.
BiMou is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
ippykaye
Lieutenant
 
ippykaye's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW 135i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney

Posts: 455
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
Dumb question...how do I contact BMR Autowerkes. Apart from PM? Do they have a phone number?

Thanks

CF
PM sent
Actually, I can't PM I've got to wait till you reach 5 posts. BMR's director is on these forums too so maybe he'll post something

Last edited by ippykaye; 11-22-2011 at 10:35 PM.
ippykaye is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #13
choppedliver
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Just spoke to Northshore BMW and
1) BMW genuine for 2 years unlimited (including roof) is $5500 RRP. Up from $3995 3 weeks ago for 135i and 335i bringing it in line with the M3.
2) Allianz 3 years - 60000km is $4995.

The finance guy said he could bring BMW down to ~$4800 and Allianz down to $4300. So a bit of discount off the bat to get me tempted. He also mentioned that he wonders if Allianz will bump up their price soon.

I'd ring Toowoomba BMW but I suspect they will need to inspect the car before they give the warranty? And it's a bit too far from Sydney.

CL

Last edited by choppedliver; 11-23-2011 at 12:36 AM.
choppedliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #14
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,326
iTrader: (0)

Try Sylvania BMW... They will negotiate, as they are a franchise and not BMW owned like Northshore.
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #15
RaihaX
Major General
 
RaihaX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

Posts: 5,029
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
Just spoke to Northshore BMW and
1) BMW genuine for 2 years unlimited (including roof) is $5500 RRP. Up from $3995 3 weeks ago for 135i and 335i bringing it in line with the M3.
2) Allianz 3 years - 60000km is $4995.

The finance guy said he could bring BMW down to ~$4800 and Allianz down to $4300. So a bit of discount off the bat to get me tempted. He also mentioned that he wonders if Allianz will bump up their price soon.

I'd ring Toowoomba BMW but I suspect they will need to inspect the car before they give the warranty? And it's a bit too far from Sydney.

Byron

Your dealer is definitely ripping you off!
RaihaX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #16
SR32
Private
 
Drives: MY11 135i CW 6Spd Man
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St Kilda, Melbourne

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

I purchased a 2 year extended warranty a couple of months back for 1700 bucks from Andrew (Mr Finance) at BMW Melbourne. He is pretty sweet to deal with and may do you a good deal.

It can be transferred to the next owner which is the main reason I did it to make it easier to sell privately.
__________________
MY11 BMW 135i AW 6SPD MANUAL
MY08 AUDI S3 AW 3DR 6SPD MANUAL

Last edited by SR32; 11-23-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typo
SR32 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #17
choppedliver
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Cantebury BMW - $3750 on the phone from the receptionist for 3yr/60000km.
She said the BMW one was still $3995 so they might be a little out of date!

CL
choppedliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #18
choppedliver
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post
PM sent
Actually, I can't PM I've got to wait till you reach 5 posts. BMR's director is on these forums too so maybe he'll post something
I have 5 now!!! ;-)

CL
choppedliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #19
choppedliver
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR32 View Post
I purchased a 2 year extended warranty a couple of months back for 1700 bucks from Andrew (Mr Finance) at BMW Melbourne. He is pretty sweet to deal with and may do you a good deal.

It can be transferred to the next owner which is the main reason I did it to make it easier to sell privately.
Nice! I was sort of told they need to inspect the vehicle? or is that hogwash?

Thanks

CL
choppedliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #20
choppedliver
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Try Sylvania BMW... They will negotiate, as they are a franchise and not BMW owned like Northshore.
They only sell the genuine BMW one, not the Allianz one :-) and stronly suggested I only deal with North Shore BM.

CL
choppedliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 12:58 AM   #21
BiMou
Private
 
BiMou's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Trust me, just call Toowoomba BMW. It doesn't matter where you are, I purchased it from Melbourne!
BiMou is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #22
Hawkeye 135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gold Coast

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiMou View Post
Trust me, just call Toowoomba BMW. It doesn't matter where you are, I purchased it from Melbourne!
Got a contact name by any chance?

If others are interested I'll see if there is a GB opportunity.
Hawkeye 135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST