BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
DavidMc
Private First Class

Drives: VO 1M

1M+Summer tires+snow=no go.

I should never listen to Weathermen. The only people I know who can be dead wrong 80% of the time and not be fired.

Forecast for my road trip to KC: "Slight chance of flurries, but no accumulation."

Reality: 1.5" snow over ice halfway there. (see pictures)

"Frosty the 1M" sitting at a hotel in Des Moines waiting for the roads to be clear the next day.

Rest of the trip was dry and awesome!! First long trip in the car and it is a much better long-distance ride than I thought. Comfortable, just the right amount of exhaust note mixed with the HK stereo, keeps a great line without feeling twitchy and easily hauled luggage and everything else we took for a long weekend.

Love, love, love this car!!! Had planned to store it until Spring, but may have to consider Winter wheel/tires so I don't have to completely go without.
Attached Images

DavidMc is offline   United_States
      12-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
silvs
Private First Class

Drives: 1M VO

Just a quick note, I picked up winter tires and there is a significant difference in traction even in 40 degree or so weather. Traction Control kicks on nearly always when beyond 50% throttle.

I have the 18's with pilot alpines.
silvs is offline   United_States
      12-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
bvez3ro
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F80 YMB

Wow...that's a lot of snow for summer tires.
Glad you made it in one pice...and the car aswell.

silvs

Be patient...the tires need a few miles to function properly.
I had the same behaviour at the beginning. But after 200 KM the grip was a lot better.
bvez3ro is offline   Germany
      12-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
mrow
Second Lieutenant

Drives: AW 1M

Had all season tires shipped to my dealer so they were on the car before I even picked it up.
      12-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Wolfpack
Private First Class

Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Glad you made it OK. I drove through the snow from Iowa City to Omaha last week (thursday) and it did OK with the trace amounts that evening. Then last Saturday we had the 5" and I tried to see what it would do. Got in the street and the car just slid off and into the curb tail first. No power at all, simply under idle with foot on the brakes. Even though there is not much left on the ground, I decide to wash the car and put in in storage yesterday. With 5 cars available, I have plenty to choose from and with snows on the MINI it goes through most everyting anyway. I was not much of a believer in snows until I stated driving BMW's, but they make a total difference in these cars.
      12-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Tony135
Major

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Yikes! Glad you made it out of there safely. Tires really make the biggest difference...ask me how I know.
      12-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Yup... BTDT with an E30 M3 on Dunlop SP8000 summer tires. Literally got stuck on packed snow about 1" in height. The crown of the two lane road I was on was such that when i slowed for a stop sign.. the back of the car began sliding... and there was a 6 foot ditch (Bar ditch , if you are from Texas) on the side of the road. I pulled the ebrake and the car stopped at 40 degree angle in the middle of the road. Every time i tried to add any power the car slid to the right making the angle greater. It was embarrasing as i needed a push otherwise I was going to slide into the ditch.. A few other motorists gave me the needed shove and I drove home and ordered snow tires.
      12-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Juiced1M
Banned

Drives: 1M

Garage List
OP store the car dont be silly and risk damaging
      12-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
DriveHard
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 128i M-Sport

OP ..

remember.. its not just "snow" that makes these cars rather usless... but extreme cold and or maintained less than 40 degrees make those summer tires more like ball bearings..

winter set up is the ONLY way to go !!

be carefull playing in the parking lots.. !!! those poles have a wierd way of chassing you around and slamming into you... LOL
'11 128i M-Sport Pkg, Sport Susp., 6AT w/paddles, BMW Perf CAI,Charcoal Filter Delete, BMW Perf. Big Brake Kit, BMW Perf. Exhaust, Ferodo 2500's, Titanium shims,135 trunk lip, BMS-PBX Box-Map 3, Castrol RBF600 ,e93 FSB, , f30 Backing Plates,GC Camber Plates, Hankook RS-3's (Track setup)
DriveHard is offline   Colombia
      12-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
Rich@GTBPerformance
Bimmerpost Sponsor and BMW Performance Guru

Drives: 2011 E92 JZB M3, 2000 750iL

Yes, summer rubber in sub 40 deg temp's turns those sticky road grabbers into rocks.

My fiancee drives a GTI and once the temperature drops she gets no grip from her Summers.

Your Home For Premium BMW Aftermarket Parts
www.gtbperformance.com | sales@gtbperformance.com | Facebook | 973 429 2839
      12-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
DavidMc
Private First Class

Thanks for all of the advice. I never intended for the 1M to see ANY snow as I had assumed it would be helpless and worst yet in danger of damage (my worst nightmare) having read all the previous 1M posts about cold weather driving.

I stopped at the first sign of accumulation. Good thing too. It turned to ice just ahead of where we stopped. Large number of cars (SUVs mostly) in the ditch the next day.

Not taking any chances. Winter wheels and tires or she sits till the roads are clear. I promise!
      12-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
DavidMc
Private First Class

Thanks Woflpack. Really miss my WRX Wagon on days like that. It lived to drive in the crap Winter threw at us. Couldn't afford to keep both, but I'll have another Subi someday as my Winter wheels. Fixed up the old Ranger 4x4 for this year.

Come on Spring!
      12-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
VMRWheels
Lieutenant General

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2014 BMW 2-Series  [0.00]
2008 5 Series  [3.30]
That's pretty scary driving on summers in snow! Glad you made it to your destination though.

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow-Form | LIVE INVENTORY: V705 V703 V710 | V710 PICTURE THREAD
p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | f. facebook.com/vmrwheels f. flickr.com/vmrwheels i. instagram.com/vmrwheels